Jul 5, 2016

Week 5 - July 5, 2016

Hi friends and family!

I hope that you all had a wonderful 4th of July. The 6 of us American sisters put on about as much red, white, and blue that we could yesterday and tried to make the most of spending the holiday away from home. It was hard, but I got through it and we even got a little firework show before we went to bed.

On Thursday night a country-wide warning hit Guatemala regarding the potential sand dropping that would take place Sunday evening. Yes, sand dropping. There was a concern that some of the sand from the Sahara Desert, yes, the one in Africa - had traveled by wind currents and was stuck in the atmosphere above Guatemala. It would only be a matter of time before the city of Guatemala would be rained on by sand. Despite our preparations, no sand fell. It has been a miracle for us all.

I could not be more thankful for the Heiden family this week! Words can not express how wonderful it was to get a big hug from Joanna. The treats have been so nice to have and I am so so thankful. Hermana Howarths mom found a company that got packages to the CCM, so we had fun shirts for 4th of July. It has been nice to feel like home isn't so far away for the week. 

We died my hair last night. My hair is black haha. I like it though, so it is okay. From behind I look like a Latina, but I am still too white to really fool anyone. Lets be real, I never will.

This week we shared embarrassing stories, so of course I shared my most heroic moment of saving Abby from her unavoidable death by a jellyfish sting with my district. (Short version input by mom.  Abby, Emily's youngest sister was stung by a jellyfish when she was about 3.  Abby was crying and everyone on the beach gathered around to see what happened.  Some of the people started yelling that someone needed to urinate on the sting so poison didn't spread.  Emily was the hero of the day and without blinking an eye, quickly did the deed. We were then told by the lifeguard that urinating didn't do anything and all we needed was to pour vinegar on the wound.) The next day we all had to perform small skits in Spanish. A group of Elders replayed the whole event. It was horrific and hilarious.

It is hard to believe that this is my last email from the CCM. As I think back on the last six weeks, I am amazed at how much I have grown, and how much my Spanish has improved. A lot of the Elders and Sisters that I am here with have become family, and it is going to be hard to say goodbye.. But we are all excited for what is to come. I don't think I will ever feel ready for the field, but I am so excited. There is service to do, people to bless, and a whole different culture to embrace in just one week. I am not sure how I am going to do it, but I do trust in the Lord. I have not been alone since I first stepped on that plane, He has been with me through everything, and it will be the same way in El Salvador. 

I love you all and cannot thank you enough for the support,

Hermana Houston

No comments:

Post a Comment