Jul 25, 2016

Week 8 - July 25, 2016



Hola Familia!  I can't believe another week has already passed by.  People always say that time goes by so quickly in the mission and I didn't really believe them...but it is true!  I wake up, study, leave the house and by the time I look at my watch it is 5 o'clock.  It happens everyday - I'm not sure how but time is passing so quickly.  I hope it is the same way for you at home. If not, I'm really sorry!

This week was wonderful, really hard - but wonderful.  Some days felt like the hardest days of my life, but as I look back on the week now, I don't remember those days as much. We have been working hard to find people we can serve and so far it has been paying off.  We have some really amazing investigators and I feel optimistic about the work here in Ataco.  Teaching with Hermana Reyes is a new experience every time, and I'm enjoying every second of it.  My companion preaches repentance with fire in her eyes and using any scripture about being "thrust down to hell" that comes to her mind.  I'm well... I'm the opposite haha. Hermana Reyes strikes fear into their hearts and then I cry with them and tell them that I know it's hard but if we have faith everything is possible and Heavenly Father loves them. It's interesting, but it's working - I guess. We are a good team, and I'm hoping maybe with time Hermana Reyes won't be so intense - but she knows a lot more about missionary work than I do so it's okay.

My ability to speak and understand Spanish is a little better everyday. People talk so fast and with such a thick accent... but I'm getting used to it.  One day earlier this week I could hardly understand anything, I had the worst headache - so I kind of shut down for the last few hours... which I knew was wrong but I just... it was a hard day.  Once we got home my companion shared with me D&C 60:2 which reads..."But with some I am not well pleased, for they will not open their mouths, but they hide the talent which I have given unto them because of the fear of men. Wo unto such, for mine anger is kindled against them." Haha, well as you can imagine - that snapped me right out of my pity party.  So the last few days I've been trying really hard to improve my Spanish and I feel a lot more comfortable and I talk much more often. Ha

I've felt so many blessings from my Heavenly Father and Savior in the last two weeks.  My Mission President was worried about sending me to this area  because of my knee.  The roads are really uneven/rocky and we literally hike all day.  However, ever since I've stepped foot in Ataco I have not had even the slightest amount of knee pain.  Everywhere else hurts, I'm sore all the time- but my knees have never felt better.  My testimony is growing in a lot of ways, but especially in the fact that the Lord will not ask us to do something without helping us to accomplish it.  I've been pushing myself in ways I didn't think I ever could and I'm truly enjoying it.  I came to El Salvador with the hope that after 18 months, I could be at least a little more like my Savior.  And that is going to take some struggle, some pain, some hard days, and since I'm Emily Houston - probably a whole lot of tears. But I can already tell that it is going to be worth every second of it.  I was walking home last night in a muddy road, with water up to my knees - and I couldn't stop smiling.  I miss home, but I love being here.  I love being a missionary.  I hope you all have the best week!
Love,

Hermana Houston

P.S. I've killed 39 spiders, and if anyone knows how to keep beetles out of your fridge without contaminating your food - please shoot me an email.

No comments:

Post a Comment