Apr 10, 2017

Week 45 - April 10, 2017



Family and Friends,

Hello hello. It was a good week here in the ever so hot oven of Centro. Sister Chinchilla and I have been working hard, and have really been able to see a change of heart in some of our investigators.  Which is what learning about the gospel, and receiving testimonies of eternal truths does to people. And let me tell ya, there is not anything more beautiful than to watch it happen. 

Some of our amazing investigators are the Solis Family. We met them while street contacting, and when we started talking the husband listened and was really nice, but the wife completely just ran away from us. We were able to set up a visit, but I mostly just felt nervous that the wife was going to be upset when we showed up at the house.. And I wasn't wrong. Juan, the Father, is almost never home because of his work schedule, and we spent about a week of trying to teach this family but every time we tried the wife closed the door before we could get any words out. But, we felt the Spirit telling us to not give up, so we just kept trying. About a week and a half ago the wife started letting us come in. We washed the dishes, did the laundry, cleaned the house.. Really just whatever she needed. And she would let us sing a hymn and pray before we left.

I have never been more sure that we are not alone in this work, because during this time, the heart of our sweet friend has truly been softened. We have started teaching this family about the restored gospel, and the blessings of it.. Something that I thought was going to be just about impossible to accomplish. The other day Sandra asked us, "Please explain to me why you are here doing missionary work? Isn't it so hard? Remember how mean I was to you? Why do you do it?" It gave Sister Chinchilla and I the opportunity to do one of the things that we love the most, bear our humble yet strong testimonies about the beautiful experience that it is to be a missionary. We talked to Sandra about the miracles we have seen, and about the way that this gospel changes the lives and hearts of those who listen to and accept the message. She expressed her desire for a change in her life and about all the doubts and concerns that she had. The conversation ended with us inviting Sandra to pray and really ask the Lord if our message is true, if Joseph Smith was a prophet, and if the Book of Mormon is the word of God.

When we got there the next morning, the biggest smile and happiest person was waiting for us. Sandra prayed, the Lord answered her prayer, and I have never seen an investigator as excited about the gospel as Sandra Solis. You guys, she called us last night to tell us everything that she learned in her study of the Book of Mormon.

I will admit that it has been a couple of hard weeks for me. I felt like I was giving my whole heart and effort to people who didn't really care to receive it, and that was difficult for my overly sensitive heart full of good intentions.. But I once again feel humbled and thankful to be a servant in the Lord's vineyard. With all of the joys, heartaches, laughs, and tears that come with it. This work changes lives, and it is without a doubt changing mine.

I send lots of love, and wishes for a happy week!

Sister Houston 

No comments:

Post a Comment