Oct 17, 2016

Week 20, October 17, 2016



Hello, hello!  This week was... Haha, I'm not quite sure how to describe this week.  Parts were great,  parts were interesting...But more than anything - I'm thankful that I had the opportunity to serve my Savior for another week here in Ataco.  Being a missionary is without a doubt the best thing I've ever done, and I love it.  My companion asked me this week how I was always happy, and why I enjoy following the rules so much. Haha, the truth is that I'm not sure.  I guess I just feel that the time in which I can serve the Lord with all of my effort and heart is actually pretty short, and I want to do all that I can to make the most of every moment.  The truth is that, yes, being a missionary is hard. It's hard work and diligence, obedience to a lot of rules, and sometimes it is spiritually draining. But, I can assure you that I've never been happier:)

So my hair...let me start by saying that I love Hermana Rayo.  We have become best friends in the last week, she's super great.  She is also very firm in her opinions...One of which is that I would look so much cuter with short hair...ha. I think that overall I am a relatively weak person, but I was definitely sure that I didn't want to cut my hair.  After days of conversation my cute companion decided to take things into her own hands, and Wednesday morning while I was eating breakfast, Hermana Rayo surprised me by chopping off my hair!  How great, right?  The good news is that there are three things to be happy about:
1- Hair grows back.
2- You all aren't going to see me for a long time.
3- The primary children teasing me for looking like Anne Frank presented the perfect opportunity to teach them the importance of keeping a journal!  Woohoo!
So, yes. Here we are!  All is well in Ataco.

Some super exciting news is that Elder Dallin H. Oaks is coming to speak to the people of El Salvador this Sunday!  I am so excited. Oh, goodness - I am so excited!

The work is going great here in Ataco. My companion was really sick all week which resulted in me leaving to work with members everyday!  At first I was nervous, but it all went really well.  It is crazy to me that 3 months ago I couldn't do a thing - and now I can be a confident, effective missionary!  In another language!  I am still learning a lot, and am so thankful that I'll have the help of Hermana Rayo this coming week.  Rosa Elena and Fernando are preparing for their baptism, and we have 7 other investigators who are learning and progressing in this gospel.  I am so happy!  I feel optimistic, and I can't really put into works how much I love sharing the gospel of Jesus Christ.

About a month ago my sweet self thought that it was the end of the world that there was a rat in my house.  I can now say that the rat we found in the house this last week wasn't really a big deal... Because we are living with a family of bats. Bats fly, they bite, they make an ugly screeching sound at 3 in the morning.  Haha, yay, Happy Halloween!  My life is a joke.

Well friends and family, things aren't perfect but I'm loving my life here in El Salvador.  I'm loving the experiences I'm having while serving my redeemer. "Truly, yoked to the Savior we can say with confidence, 'it will all work out.'" - Sister Neill F. Marriott.  This quote is true, and I love my older brother Jesus Christ.  Everyday I'm learning how to better put my trust in Him, and it is making all the difference.

I love you all! So much.

Hermana Houston

No comments:

Post a Comment