Oct 31, 2016

Week 22- October 31, 2016



Hola!!

Happy Halloween! The saddest thing I realized this week is that we don't celebrate Halloween here in El Salvador. There are no little kids in costumes, no candy, nothing! I got homesick for a quick minute, but then I remembered how much I love my life here, and now all is well. Thank you for the fun decorations and cool socks. Clearly, Hna. Rayo and I love them maybe more than we should, but we sure have had a good time.

This week was maybe one of the best that I have had here in El Salvador. It wasn't easy, but I felt the Spirit working through me more than I ever have before. As my companion and I listened to his soft voice, he literally guided our steps and told us exactly what we should say. I know this is the Lord's work, and it is so amazing to be a part of it.

My favorite experience this week was with the Guirola Family. I think that in my time here in Ataco I have knocked on this family's door 3 or 4 times, and each time we have been kindly rejected. However, this week I had a strong feeling to try again. The mother's face lit up when she opened the door, and she quickly welcomed us in. As we got to know her better she expressed that during the morning she felt something telling her that people were going to come and help her feel better that day. Her mother recently passed away, and she has been struggling to discover a peace that she has been longing to find. We were able to share a message of hope with her and some of her children. It was amazing to see that their spirits were truly lifted and their burdens lightened. I was able to experience a growth in my testimony that the Lord truly is preparing people to receive the restored gospel, and that as long as we listen to the soft whispering of the Spirit, he is willing to help us find them. 

Some exciting news.. Our house was invaded by poisonous bees this week. I somehow have yet to be stung, but my poor companion has been stung 4 times. She is really allergic, and it has been terrible. I did feel blessed that I was able to use some of the training of my First Aid certification classes.  One more blessing this week was that my ward received an English Liahona instead of a Spanish one, so they gave it to me as a gift:) I read it in my free time as entertainment, and it has been so great! Haha, oh no.. I am reading church magazines for fun. I promise that I am still normal! I promise. But really, I found this quote and absolutely loved it. "I've learned that this life needs to be lived with passion and energy. Each minute is a treasure, and once is passes, it's gone forever, reflected only weakly in memory. I've learned that if you're going to serve others or worship the Lord, you're happiest and most effective when you do it with all the joy and energy you have." - R. Val Johnson. So, that's what I'm trying to do here in Ataco. Make the most of every minute that I have to serve my Savior and Redeemer, and to do it with all of the joy and energy that I have. My friendly invitation to you all would be that you can do the same. Let us not just allow the time to pass us by, but let us make the most of every chance we have been given to do good and be good. I love being a missionary, and I love you all very much. Have a happy week!

Hermana Houston
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment