Nov 7, 2016

Week 23 - November 7, 2016



Hi family and friends!

Another happy week in the life of this missionary has already passed us by. As always, this week presented opportunities to grow my faith, and experiences that have strengthened my testimony. If only I could eloquently express just how grateful I am for this gospel, and how much I love being a missionary here in Ataco.

We have a new house! Woohoo. There are no rats, bats, or poisonous bees. I also have yet to find one spider. Maybe the happiest news, we have HOT WATER! You guys, I am like a little missionary princess in this house. It is so wonderful. Okay, enough about the worldly things..

The most beautiful experience that I have ever experienced happened this week with our investigator Johanna. Johanna is a 20 year old young woman who is full of life and all things happy. One of the members here introduced us to her, and we have been meeting with her for about 3 weeks. I have always been impressed by Johanna for her open-minded thinking and genuine desire to do what is right. In a lesson with Johanna on Tuesday, when asking if she had received an answer regarding if what we had been teaching her was true, she got quiet. My heart was racing because I know that this gospel can really help Johanna, and well, it's a matter of salvation for a sweet friend who I love dearly. As she began to speak the biggest smile came across her face.. "I've been praying, like you told me to with a real desire to know. I am not sure how, but I do not have any doubt that this is the truth. That everything that you have told me is true, and that Joseph Smith really did see Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ. I don't have any doubts. I just..I know it is true with all of my heart." The Spirit filled the room in a way that I have never felt before. The joy between the 3 of us was in-explainable, and something that I will never forget. In church yesterday we talked to Johanna about some of the commandments that her Father in Heaven wanted her to follow so that she could be ready to make this promise with him and be baptized. She willingly accepted each one, and is enthusiastic for her baptism on November 19th. It is the most beautiful and rewarding thing that I have ever seen, and I couldn't be more thankful to be here and having these amazing experiences.

We might not celebrate Halloween here in El Salvador, but my goodness is El Dia de los Muertos (Day of the Dead) something to see. I have never experienced anything like it.  Absolutely crazy. We participated in a service activity in the graveyard as a zone, which was interesting.. But service is always good. Some people gave Hermana Rayo and I these cool cacti so that was nice.

I saw 4 children running in the street wearing American Fork High School baseball and football T-shirts on Wednesday. Wild that they ended up here in this little town, but thank you all for your humanitarian efforts:´)

Well, I miss you all but couldn't be any happier here. I share my testimony that Jesus Christ is our Savior, and that he lives. How thankful I am for His sacrifice and never-ending love. I know that we have a Heavenly Father who is involved in even the smallest details of our lives. I know He listens to our prayers, and that He wants us to be happy. 2 Nephi 2:25 states"..and men are, that they might have joy."Our very existence, along with the perfect Plan of Salvation that our Father has created have been brought to pass solely for the purpose that we might have joy, and a happiness that can last for the eternities. We might not have a perfect understanding of why things are the way that they are, in fact we might have a lot of questions and doubts. But when we put our confidence in our loving Heavenly Father, we can be sure that he wants nothing but the best for each of us. And in that we can always find peace. 

Have a great week, I love you all dearly.

Hermana Houston

1 comment:

  1. What a wonderful missionary you are. I feel your love and testimony of the gospel and God's children in your letter.

    ReplyDelete